Thursday, November 5, 2009

Fifteen Miles to Utopia

I'm going ahead with the next blog review. Fifteen Miles to Utopia. Excellant blog, excellant writing. The author has a real talent for getting her story across. The reader really feels like she's in the story. There was one sex scene. No crude language, no too intimate of details, but it really got you breathing hard. So much better than any "sex" blog. Also details, the author details scenes so well you can actually see it in your mind. Now for the problem with this blog. A short while ago the author became extremely pressured by the commentors. From what I could tell, it was just simple statements like "I can't wait for the next post" "I'm dying for a new post" things like that, that are meant to be compliments, but for whatever reason the author took this as "pressure" and retorted with very uncalled for remarks to her loyal readers. "Speaking" to them as a mother disiplining a child. And she decided to shut down the blog for a time. After relaxing and getting it back together she began posting again. Only once a week and with a friend monitering the comments. Ok, that's fine. Only once again a commentor wrote that she was dying for the next post. The friend mediator posted the comment along with one of her own telling the poor commentor to stop complaining. Obviously she was not complaining, just excited. So the author posted a note saying that she told her friend not to be so snippy. The note had such an air of arrogance to it that it really turned me off. This is a fantastic blog, but the author's diva attitude is really ruining it. I don't look forward to the posts as I once did. But still all and all I do highly recommend the blog. Just stay out of the comment section.
Laura B

15 Miles-Review
This is a blog I really like, and have been reading from the beginning. I enjoy the story line and like the characters. They feel alive, real and I find myself “feeling” them.
BUT I now stay completely way from the comments; I don’t read them any more at all. In fact I was quite disappointed to find yet another “note” posted about comments. Voicing again how I, as the reader, should feel.
I also don’t find myself remembering when there are updates; I often will forget to check. I don’t eagerly wait on the edge of my seat come Wednesday mornings for that post.
I would definitely recommend this story, but stay clear of the comments. In fact it would not surprise me if there was some “feedback” or “note” about me even reviewing her blog, but that’s OK….it’s called an opinion for a reason, not everyone has to agree!! -Jen


Ooooh 15 miles. I can't say that the story isn't good. Because it is, it's fantastic. And, I think if you're new to reading it, and you were around for the authors little temper tantrum, you may be able to get into it. However, I think it may be ruined for me. I used to check hourly for posts, not because I actually expected them to be there, but because I was hoping, maybe the author got a little extra time. I can't say I wasn't disappointed when there wasn't a new post. I was. But it was NEVER something I blamed the author for. Again, the story is JUST that good, no matter how long the previous entry was, or how frequent the postings, you are just always left wanting more. This is something that I LOVE to hear about my blog, and when I do, I get the biggest smile on my face. However, don't drop that kind of compliment on the Author of 15 miles. In fact, I would be hesitant to drop ANY kind of compliment on her, because you never really know how she'll take it.

As good as a restaurant may be, if the service is crappy, I will complain, and if it doesn't get fixed, I won't be back. The same goes for blogs. Yes, I understand, it's a free service. I have my own blog, I post 4 times a week, I know it can be time consuming, and I know I do it purely for fun. BUT, that doesn't give me a right to make people kiss my ass and stroke my ego. I'm not going to ignore when someone is rude to me just because it's free. I feel like the author treats her readers like children, I think she has a big head, and I think she's full of herself. She also whines about the pressure, and it comes off like she makes the readers beg for posts. And if you say something she doesn't like, she had no problem making an example out of you (or sending her minions to do so.)

I'll admit, I still read from time to time. When I'm bored. Which makes me SO sad, because I used to love this blog so much. But all the recent drama has killed it for me. If you want to continue to love this blog, I suggest like all the other reviewers: Stay away from the comments.

It's also sad, that as of lately, a lot of comment sections are getting more attention than actual blogs themselves. I'm glad this happened to the Cosmo blog, because as Laura B said, I've made some really good friends off there. But as for the rest of them... I dunno. All I can suggest is maybe looking at things with an open mind. HEAR what your readers are saying, even if you may not like it. And if you're "sick of the comment drama" either take comments off your page or STOP RESPONDING. You can't fuel the fire and get shocked when it ends up out of control.

I also know that most of this review wasn't even about the blog, mainly the author. But it just goes to show you that when you open yourself up to the public like that, you've GOT to be careful how you act. You can very easily turn people off simply by your attitude, and then it doesn't matter how good your work is.

3 comments:

  1. I would definitely recommend this blog too, but don't go near the comment section.

    I read blog stories for the story not the comments (except cosmo's blog, their lack of posting turned into quite entertaining conversations in the comment section).

    ReplyDelete
  2. See I like the comments on blogs, they are kind of like being in a book club. And you get to know some people, well sort of know. i've actually made 3 great friends from blog comments even though we've never met face to face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the author pulled it down again, big surprise. when she shut it down the first time i knew the blog wouldn't last long because of her delicate ego. after she shut it down the first time i never commented. she pretends to want comments but would really be happier off with no comments.

    ReplyDelete